An old friend of mine just visited me from the States. We spent our days touring the old city and chatting about the culture of Cartagena. As I was explaining the finer points, I realized despite being a “gringa,” I fit right in here for these reasons:
10. There is no such thing as being too loud or lively.
9. Wearing a “nice” t-shirt, jeans, and sandals to work every day is perfectly acceptable.
8. Everything is cancelled when it rains and 3 hours afterwards.
7. Repeating a good story or instructions is not annoying, it’s expected.
6. Interrupting someone is normal and often the only way to be heard.
5. People can have 5 conversations at once and remember all of them.
4. The answer “no,” is just used to bargain and in the end doesn’t exist.
3. There are 4 expressions for “to run an errand.”
2. These expressions are used to skip out on anything and no one ever asks what the errand was.
1. When in doubt, flash a big smile and everything will be great!